Thursday, May 06, 2004

I was hopping she wouldn't enroll, but today she did. Last week I was conducting entrance interviews for incoming pre-schoolers. I handle the prenursery class and she was applying for my class. The moment I sat down beside her, she started slapping me in the face! One of my co-teachers approached to help me, and she dug her nails into the teacher's arms and scraped her. We both backed off to give her some space. She started screaming and waving her arms. When she noticed that we were ignoring her behavior, she urinated on her seat. When we called her mom to pick her up, she told her mom that I had hurt her.

Unfortunately, the school rarely turns away pre-schoolers who apply, unless they are special children. We explained to her mom what happened and strongly suggested that she may not be ready. She didn't enroll last week so I thought I was safe. Today, I was handed her registration card. I am not looking forward to this school year. I've had kids who hit other kids, kids who curse, kids who spit, kids who have body odor and bad breath, kids who say they will kill you or shoot you in the face, kids who throw chairs and tables, but not one with behavior as bad as this. When I showed the registration card to the teacher she had scraped, the teacher showed me the wounds on her arm and said "you'd better be ready for this." I just hope she doesn't hurt any of the other children.

No comments: